Tatiana and Olga 2010

Tatiana and Olga  2010

Tuesday, October 22, 2024

My Brontë Stories: Miss Wooler 1851

 Miss Wooler 1851

Introduction

As a fan of Arthur Bell Nicholls, I naturally think the fellow is not usually given his due. 
I mean of attention in Brontë biographies.
After the publications of Villette and as her marriage to the stalwart curate, Mr. Nicholls, approaches, the steam seems to go out of a number of Charlotte biographies (some of my favorites)
I believe it’s partly because it’s all just too sad. Charlotte is married and she's happy and then right off....she dies. It's cruel and difficult and one might be tempted to look away or it's simply ABN is too humdrum. 
Whatever the reason it's too bad because even though Arthur was naturally not as fascinating as Charlotte; if you would know Charlotte Brontë, that period in her life when Arthur comes to the fore, is fascinating and revealing.
But however Arthur Bell Nicholls is shorted of History’s attention, there is a vital group of individuals in Charlotte's later life who really are ignored and it’s unfortunate. Not merely as an injustice, but again, you know CB better if these three are carefully considered,
I’m speaking of Miss Margaret Wooler and Amanda and Joe Taylor.
These three people were hugely important to Charlotte. In 1855, when Charlotte lay dying and Arthur was too over come to write to Ellen Nussey, Patrick took over the task. He informed Ellen of the dire situation and asked her in turn to inform Miss Wooler and the Taylors.
That shows us this trio’s prominence right there. Charlotte loved these three people. Patrick would hardly make a point of getting the news to them at that terrible time if she did not.
 In Charlotte’s letters to Ellen, Charlotte did write about them critically at times, (particularly the Taylors) but in my view, that was to keep Ellen's jealousy on a low flame.
There were hard feelings between the two women years before when CB was getting ready to go to Brussels. Ellen was hearing about CB's doings from others, not always directly. Ellen felt left out and was put out. The two smoothed it over then, but CB knew not to write too enthusiastically of others....but indeed, to complain about them. As I have said before, one cannot always take at face value what Charlotte wrote to Ellen, to be her full opinion about others.
In 1853 when the friendship did break completely for a time over Arthur and Charlotte and Ellen were not speaking, Miss Wooler became CB's closest confident and was much involved in bringing the marriage about.
 After her marriage CBN wrote to Miss Wooler,
My husband is not perfect...no human being is. But as you well know I was not expecting perfection."
"But as you well know"...in short, Margaret Wooler heard plenty.
This was due to the closeness of the friendship between the two women and frankly, also because there was no one else CB could trust who wanted to hear about it.
Certainly not Ellen. She and CB’s friendship, as I say, had broken down over Arthur. Certainly not Patrick. He spoke so constantly about Arthur in a cutting manner that CB at last forbid him to speak about the topic at all. Did that stop the flow of condemnation? Indeed not. Patrick then complained about Arthur as Flossy, Anne Brontë’s faithful spaniel.
Patrick was told of where matters stood only when CB made a confession, or made a decision. She then informed her father how things was going to be from then on and they had a row about it. (Or as CB called it “rough work") which CB would win...of course.
 There were at least three"rough work" events between father and daughter over Arthur Bell Nicholls. In the first one, CB confessed she was in correspondence with the banished curate.( and she won the permission to continue) After the second one, Arthur was once again allowed to come to the Patronage and of course, the last ,and most hard fought Brontë on Brontë battle was over Charlotte actually marrying the penniless curate.
 Tabby had to referee that one. 
Mrs. Gaskell certainly wanted to hear all about the ups and downs of the courtship. She was fascinated with Charlotte even before they met. Her letters at that time foreshadowed her later biography of her friend. The story lines were already established.
But Lilly Gaskell was a gossip among her friends and all of London would soon hear about this most private matter. However, when Mrs G.’s Sept ’53 visited Charlotte at the Parsonage, Charlotte did unbend and confide in Mrs. Gaskell. During that visit, Charlotte’s questions were interesting. They were along the lines of how can a woman be married and also remain honest in her writing? In CB’s sphere these were concerns only Mrs. Gaskell could address.
Also Charlotte would not have been human if she could resist speaking to the insightful and deeply sympathetic Mrs.G about the high drama engulfing the house as they sat by the fire night after night. Lily was quick to see the tension between CB and Patrick. A pointed question or two would burst the dam.
But mostly during those 18 months between Arthur’s proposal in ’52 and the marriage in ’54, Charlotte wanted the greatest privacy. She liked keeping such things hidden until they were resolved.
Miss Wooler was the answer. Indeed after CBN’s death, Miss Wooler burned Charlotte's letters with the really good stuff and assured the grieving husband that she did so. (They agreed on such matters) But even the letters Miss Wooler left for us, are among the best when it comes to understanding Charlotte.
In my following story I have Miss Wooler assure Arthur Bell Nicholls he and his cause has a friend in her.
I will also remind readers that Miss Wooler, quite out of the blue, provided CB with three beautifully made shifts. That is, embodied undergarments. If Evangelical Charlotte Brontë had ordered the shifts herself, I do not think she would have dreamed of adding that pretty touch. I believe Miss Wooler had hopes for Charlotte's future.... that someone else was going to see those pretty undergarments.
And speaking of such material things, one of the most touching Brontë related relics we have is the baby cap Miss Wooler made for Charlotte. Clement Shorter found it many years later still holding a place of honor within Miss Wooler’s family.  

Miss Wooler's Baby Cap
As I say, Miss Wooler was for the marriage and in my opinion that baby cap speaks of CB's ambitions that way…or at least Miss Wooler’s expectations.
Victorian ways are not our ways. Back then when you married, children were an expected result by both parties and society and agreeing to them was an immutable part of the” I do ‘at the altar. Whether the children came along or not is a different matter.
It is so moving that Margaret Wooler kept Charlotte's baby cap all her life. This beautiful creation was not given to another child, but kept in remembrance of her friend. Over the years, with what emotion would Miss Wooler unfold at that cap, think on Charlotte, and then, with a sigh, fold it again to put away. 
 

Amanda and Joe Taylor.

The importance of the Taylors during Charlotte's courtship cannot be overstated; in that they showed Charlotte a marriage can make no sense on the surface and yet work and work well. Quite an important association for a brilliant woman who loved her dreams and yet needed to come to earth to fine happiness.
In a future story about Joe Taylor, I have Arthur ask Joe the secret to their success. 
Joe answers
“I’m not a madman."
It's to be remembered Amelia Taylor was once Amelia Ringrose and before she married Joe, she was engaged to Ellen's Nussey's brother, George. Sadly, George Nussey went mad and it was incurable. But Amanda stood by George still. It was the Nusseys who had to tell her it was hopeless and to give up the idea. When enough time had passed, Joe moved in.
 Joe tells Arthur,
 “When she stood by a madman, I said to myself Aye, you will do right well for a Taylor!"
When Amanda and Joe married, Charlotte seemingly had no hope for its success and predicted to Ellen a crash and burn. But Joe and Amanda proved her wrong. Marriage can be between quite different people and yet fulfilling.To witness this at first hand was instructive for Charlotte when considering her own future.
There is a letter Charlotte wrote to Amelia in December of 1854 when Joe was ill himself. In an effort to cheer Amelia, Charlotte openly speaks of Amelia and Joe's importance to her and her affection for them and their daughter.
Indeed CB formed a warm relationship with little Martha Emily Taylor, nicknamed “Tim”. Tim for timorous. She was called that because when Tim met strangers, Tim would simply scream.
CB greatly admires this naturally.
“Tim has the courage of my convictions!” I have her say.
No hiding behind a curtain for Tim, Charlotte’s long-time trick when strangers enter a room…A trick she performed as late as her last visit to the Gaskells!
I do not make the case that Miss Wooler and the Taylors are interesting persons on their own merits. I say they were important to Charlotte Brontë and therefore they should be important to us.
So the following piece is part of the story of the often over looked loving friends of Charlotte Brontë Nicholls.
The Miss Wooler part



Miss Wooler 1851


By Anne Lloyd

 When I entered the Church one afternoon, I saw an elderly gentlewoman unknown to me sitting in the pews. An unusual sight. This, then, had to be Miss Wooler, the Parsonage visitor Martha spoke about, Charlotte’s old teacher and employer. I could see she was not in prayer and presently she gestured me over to her. I naturally asked if I could be of assistance.
Behind thick glasses, which could not dim her eyes brightness, Miss Wooler smiled up to me, as if we were old friends.
"Kind Sir, you may help me to stand and then accompany me for a walk in the churchyard if you will. I am Miss Margaret Wooler and I believe your name, young man, is Mr. Nicholls."
I told her she was correct and that I was very pleased to meet her, but I wondered how she knew me.
“Well now, how many curates does Haworth have? “She said as I offered my arm. “And wherever I find myself, I'm very interested in the local clergy and always ask after them. Besides, your collar and full waist coat gives you away. You’re the High Churchman curate of Haworth. I have heard you described; heavy beard, strong physique, delft, blue eyes. The description fits you well, as it should, considering its author.”
I said I would gladly walk with her, but said I could not wonder who would bother to so describe me.
“Come now, Sir, “said Miss Wooler smiling again, as we left the church, “Can you not?" Once we gained the Churchyard, Miss Wooler leaned closer to me and spoke lowly, “Dear Sir, I'll get to business; though you and I have not been previously introduced, I have seen how you watch Miss Brontë under those copious brows of yours and at times you frankly stare. Sir, does Miss Brontë know? "
I stopped. It was as if I was touched by fire, so unexpected and sharp was the probe.
"Know Miss Wooler? Know what?" I said as blandly as I could, but clearly I was nettled.
With a slight tug she propelled us forward again.
"Mischievous Sir, must I say it? Oh very well." and she lowered her voice even more, while her pale blue eyes studied me.
"My dear Rev. Nicholls, does Miss Brontë know of your regard?"
“Dear lady!”
“Oh I’ve unsettled you and for that I am sorry. But I always say, if one offends, do not quit the field for the price has already been paid. So kind Sir, my question remains.”
“Miss Wooler, I am sure you would be aware of what Miss Brontë knows or does not know more than I.  You have Miss Brontë's confidence, not I!" My discomfort was now plain.
"So you admit it? That helps matters.“
Had I? I suppose so
“Dear Rev, I do apologize for being brusque about such a tender and indeed, personal topic, but nothing is more obvious as your approbation for Miss Brontë."
“I pray you are mistaken, Miss Wooler. It would make continuing on at Haworth.....difficult."
“I’m not often mistaken,“ she sighed. “Sadly, my discernment has been generally a cross rather than a crown. I heard you have spoken of leaving Haworth and decamp to Australia, I understand. So it seems your position is already indeed difficult."
"You have made enquires Madam."
 It was practically a charge. Her assessment was amazing and pointed in my view.
Miss Wooler smiled again (a charm she used shamelessly). “I have told you Sir, where ever I am, in my travels, the local clergy is of interest to me. I also understand the Church school does very well under your direction. Having spent my life in education, I cannot help but be impressed. Mr. Nicholls, I am an elderly, High-Church spinster in retirement. What else should interest me so well besides my family, as the doings of young people and the local clergy? You come under that sanction on both counts. "
“Truly? High-Church? Miss Wooler?" Her garb had more than suggested it.
“Indeed and I'm glad to say all my many pupils became and remain staunch, High-Church women as well. Save for four. Unfortunately, those four girls were the most gifted and consequently the most accomplished among them all. I’m speaking of the three Brontë girls and Miss Mary Taylor. Though it can hardly be said Miss Emily was truly in my care, being at my school a mere two months. But to be accurate, I include her. In truth all the Brontë girls slipped the net….not that they were ever in it."
“I, see. Then you are certainly aware of Miss Brontë 's ...easeful interpretation of Church edicts?” I said.
“Indeed.”
“Miss Brontë has taken to heart one of Christ’s edict, most severely. That is, ‘Man was not made for the Sabbath, the Sabbath was made for man.’”
“Sir, you are witty,” said with a small laugh.
“I’ve been told that before. Unfortunately, my dear Lady it is by accident,not by design. So it cannot count as wit. I merely speak the truth as I see it.”
“Wit and truth often seem the same Mr. Nicholls, when plainly spoken.” 
Miss Wooler went on with our topic. “Of course, as Miss Brontë’s teacher, I was in charge of her welfare for years and have since been, I hope, a staunch friend. So I’m very aware of Miss Brontë’s beliefs and point of view. I quite see the difficulties an alliance would pose between you and she on that point, indeed. “
“But I'll tell you something kind Sir. While Miss Brontë and I do not stand on the same side in Church matters, we do stand-side-by-side in life these many years. We are devoted friends. You see, Miss Brontë does not insist one share her beliefs. But she does insist, most fervently, that one is utterly sincere in their own. And all I have heard about you attest that you are most sincere in yours."
"I fear there are other impediments, besides, Miss Wooler." I said, "Though our differences over Church matters may be the greatest one. But I am not certain Miss Brontë even thinks well of me. "
I cannot account for the charm of this woman. I was speaking more frankly and calmly to this stranger on this topic than I would even to Aunt Bell, at this time. My fabled reserve had dissipated. Perhaps it was because Miss Wooler herself, was a teacher of long experience and thus had heard and smoothed down many troubles.
 Also of great import was her years of close association with Charlotte. She knew her old student well. What warmed me even more to the fine old lady was Miss Wooler was fully for my cause, that of marriage. A cause I had but barely,dared to rally to myself.
Patting my arm, Miss Wooler said, “You should have more confidence in that regard Sir. Remember Miss Brontë wrote approvingly of you in her second book. Are you not the one who takes the place of the loutish Irish curate at the end? “
It pained her to say anything detrimental about even a fictitious clergyman, such was Miss Wooler’s reverence for the vocation; a point she and Charlotte disagreed upon of course. Currer Bell’s ridicule of the clergy was well known…even infamous.
“I had supposed Miss Brontë created a fine Irish curate at the end in order to redeem your nation after she had so thoroughly ridden down the earlier Irish curate.” Miss Wooler said.
“Dear Lady, did you speak so frankly Miss Brontë?” I could not help inquiring.
“Perhaps not quite that directly.” she admitted. “I merely asked who was that Irish curate at the end. She of course maintained it was a made up person. But here I came to Haworth and I found the living model of that worthy curate. That is your portrait at the very end of Miss Brontë’s volume, Shirley. Is it not?”
“It is generally accepted so.“ I said. “I’m told by all hands it is me to the life. “
“That should encourage you, Mr. Nicholls. Greatly.”
“It is faint praise at best, Miss Wooler."
“Faint praise from that quarter Sir, is more, much more than fulsome out-pouring from another," she said sagely.
"I own that has been my own observation over the years.”  
“Indeed, one of the points in your favor Sir, one of I am sure of many, is you have been with the family for years,” Miss Wooler said. “Years and long association count with Miss Brontë. If one stays by her, she will stay by one. You will also be glad to know, when I asked Miss Brontë about you, we were alone kitting by the fire. Rev. Brontë might not appreciate so much attention given to his curate over tea."
"Madame, you are wise. “I said.
"I thank you, Sir. So having seen you, I asked Miss Brontë again who that character was at the end of her book. He stood out so from the others. She was more forth coming at that time. Now this is a ticklish topic between Miss Brontë and me. My commentary on her works that is. See, she was quite cross with me earlier when I told her I had forgiven her for the...ah, improprieties in her first novel, Jane Eyre. “Her pale cheeks colored a little as she said this.
“Oh? You are a brave lady, Miss Wooler!’I said admiringly.
She looked at me closely. “Tell me Sir, have you had experience with Miss Brontë’s more.... passionate aspects?”
“I have. Early on I was one of a pack of curates who rushed the Parsonage at tea. We  compounded our offence by behaving boorishly and rudely. We were then strongly reprimanded by our hostess. Remarkably so. Rev Brontë was appalled. ”
“I see!”
“I have also experienced Miss Brontë’s fervor as a witness. I was there when Miss Emily found out her poems had been snatched and heard every resulting bellow.”
I assumed Miss Wooler knew something about that and I was right.
“Well! And you still wish to marry Miss Brontë, Mr. Nicholls?”
“More than ever, dear Lady.”
"That speaks very well of your discernment, Sir.”
Thank you….have you experienced such events Miss Wooler? I mean besides over Miss Bronte’s writing?“ Miss Wooler had asked me such questions and, I felt emboldened to do likewise.
“Oh yes, indeed,” she said with a sigh. “Oh, it was years ago.” And she stopped in a sort of reverie, gazing upon the memory.
“It was when Charlotte was teaching at my school. Anne was a student then. Indeed, part of Miss Bronte’s recompense was Anne’s tuition. Well Anne, was hiding her troubles, as she did by nature. But Anne was in fact seriously ill. Neither Charlotte nor I had noticed for some time. When Charlotte did see the situation, she came to me about it in high alarm. I at first dismissed her tumult. I said we would see to Anne of course, but she, Charlotte, was over stating the case. That’s when the true storm began. And now years later I must own she was right. She would know better than anyone what ails a Brontë. “
“What happened?”
“Miss Brontë angrily declared she would take Anne home at once and our association was now at an end …forever!”
And I could just see it.
“Clearly and thankfully Miss Wooler, that didn’t happen. “
“No,“Miss Wooler said.”Something of a miracle intervened. Much to Charlotte’s and my own astonishment, I burst into tears and I begged her to reconsider such a drastic ending as that."
“You see I had not cried since I was a child.” And she shook her head in wonder.” I am the eldest of a family of twelve, Mr. Nicholls. Early on, due to unfortunate circumstances, we children had to see to ourselves in this world.”
“I see“and I certainly did
“I was the eldest and so it behooved me to take the lead, see to things for the others; to become hard and hearty and get on for us all. I was that way for many years, of necessity. But all that crumbled when Charlotte accused me of neglect and would henceforth break off our association. The pain of that prospect was impossible to bear and … I wept. Once I cried and said I could not lose her friendship and her good opinion, Charlotte softened and we went on. "
Miss Wooler confined further.

"  That was not the first time tears passed between us. When Charlotte arrived at my school, she knew many things about poetry and art the other girls did not. But her rudimentary knowledge was sorely lacking. So much so, that I said to her, that I was sorry, but she must be placed in the class with the younger girls and not with the girls of her own age."

"Charlotte burst into tears and begged me to not do so. She sobbed that the humiliation would be too great to bare. It was quite an admission from that proud girl. It cost her much." 

"She tearfully promised if I placed her with the older girls, she would work most  diligently in order to catch up to the others. I finally agreed , she wept so. I was rewarded for my decision. She worked tirelessly and became a fine scholar; indeed, she won prizes."

 Miss Wooler paused ," Later, when her time at the school was at its end, it was my turn to weep and have my great wish granted and we stayed friends. We likely would have in any case, as I am part of Miss Bronte’s local set.”
“Her local set?” I asked.
“A long established social set of dear friends made up of Miss Ellen Nussey, the Taylors and Mary Taylor, whether she is in or out of this hemisphere. But my honest tears and distress did help matters.” Said with a smile.
After a time Miss Wooler went on,” But back to far more current events. When I spoke to Miss Brontë about her Jane Eyre. I sought to be magnanimous. That, sadly, of course caused even more offence. In truth, I rushed in where angels fear to tread.”
“But clearly you were forgiven like before.”  According to Martha, Miss Wooler was great favorite at the Parsonage. Even Tabby had a smile and something of a bow for  Charlotte's old teacher. 
The elderly lady nodded. “And for the same reason Sir, because I love her and Miss Brontë knows it. She is a most forgiving person when that is the case. Once the initial huffs and puffs have their sway and settle, she is as soft as down.”
“I see. “ And I admit I thrilled to hear this testimony as to Charlotte's gifts for forgiveness. 
The swift hard and soft contrasts within Charlotte's nature was high among her attributes that excited my keen approbation and every lover feels the need of atonement from the beloved. 
“But then later I came again to object to the treatment of the three curates in Shirley.” Miss Wooler said
“You were not alone in that, to be sure,” I said.
“Indeed. Her publisher and her London friends were also quite disproving, indeed, much more than I. The Publishing firm wanted that section removed! However, Miss Brontë stood her ground. It must be said however it was not in the best of taste to show clergy in such a light and from the pen of a clergyman's daughter! But I understand Mr. Nicholls that you and Rev. Brontë did approve of those three curates, as Miss Brontë brought you both up to me to argue her side. She said that you, even read those passages aloud to Rev. Brontë and you both laughed uproariously."
"I must admit Rev. Brontë and I found Miss Brontë's curates in Shirley very amusing, Miss Wooler." And I remember the fits of helpless laughter Rev. Brontë and I experienced. 
"Perhaps it is a kind of Irish humor of which I am not acquainted?”
She meant no offense and none was taken.
"Dear Lady I would say it is perhaps humor only those in and of the clergy can fully appreciate."
"I will take your word about that, Sir," said Miss Wooler." I do know it may not have been wise of me to speak of her works in detail again to Miss Brontë ." But as I say the character of the worthy curate at the end stood out so much from the others, I wished to know of the model and I persisted. That Irish curate at the end, purported to be yourself, you could not know it, but the character’s original name in the book as Miss Bronte composed it was ....Rev. MacArthur. Arthur is your Christen name is it not? What further proof it is you could be wanting?”
“Rev. MacArthur? Miss Wooler, you must be mistaken.”
"Oh dear, there is that frown. You glower at times, young man. I suppose that is your face for Dissenters. Excuse my frankness, Sir, yet again. But I told you I am rarely mistaken about such things. You can depend upon what I say."
“Miss Wooler, I would guess, if ever the topic of myself arises between you and Miss Brontë, I am quickly dismissed from the conversation.”
“I will not dispute that as a rule." she said, “But the manner of dismissal is of the upmost importance, Mr. Nicholls. It is done with a certain fluster and annoyance, and not with disinterest, or worse, far worse, humor and derision. I know Miss Brontë. Some root has been established. And if I did not believe there was hope for you Sir, we would not be discussing this personal matter. So take heart, is my advice."
"I appreciate all you have said Miss Wooler, very much.”
“I’m glad. You can count on me as a friend, Mr. Nicholls.” She patted my hand as to seal the sentiment.
“But why dear Lady? You do not know me."
"Because, Mr. Nicholls, I say, I love Miss Brontë and as her true friend I wish for her happiness. For all her talk of “we spinsters” when we sit by the fire, that is not where her heart lies. I knew that when she was a girl. Now, from her books, all the world knows of that hungry heart. Her heart is hungry, and yet its greatest wish to be able to give something of the riches within. I have chosen this life alone and I am happy. But my way is not hers. I seek to help my friend find her way.”
“Beyond my salary as curate, Miss Wooler, I haven’t a penny. Hardly a proper prospect for marriage.”
“Undoubtedly, dear Sir. And so a young man harboring such aspiration in that case would be the height of folly. I would heartily oppose you with all my influence, such as it is. But, Mr. Nicholls you are wealthy beyond measure in one attribute. The most important one by far, and as far I know, you alone of all your sex possess this treasure trove.”
“What is that?”
“Love and ardor. You truly love Miss Brontë, Sir, and fervently wish to marry her.”
“From the first, long before all this fame, " I muttered. “The world cared not a pin for her before. I have never understood people’s blindness to her, even less do I understand it now. The world knows of her worth at last, yet she's still alone!" 
“Exactly. And so, Mr.Nicholls; I’m for you. And I repeat, Sir, you have a friend in me."
"Dear Lady, I'm honored."
She nodded with satisfaction. "Now, young man, I've said my prayers, we’ve had a walk, a good talk and Miss Brontë has had an ample view of us from the Parsonage…” 
“Her view, Miss Wooler?”
“Surely you know very little passes though St. Michael’s Churchyard without her seeing it…indeed, viewing most of Haworth."
I had to admit I did.
 “Well then, with all that accomplished, would you be so kind as to escort me back to the Parsonage for my tea?"
“With pleasure, Miss Wooler.”
As we approached Parsonage, I could not resist asking her if had been her intention that we would be seen. Miss Wooler laughed. 
 "Miss Bronte is sure to bring you up on her own now. I need not introduce the topic. I expect an inquiry about our Churchyard conversation by the second cup tea, if not before."
 "What will you say Miss Wooler?"
"Something truthful, but not exactly our exchange to be sure. I will say you seem a fine young man to me and a kind one. Kindness means much to Miss Brontë Mr. Nicholls. "
At the Parsonage, as we were about to let ourselves in , Charlotte opened the door.  
“Charlotte! Look who I have found in the Church and who has kindly escorted me back."
"Mr. Nicholls." said quietly.
“Good afternoon, Miss Brontë." I bowed.
In the passage, Charlotte turned to Miss Wooler. “How did you come to find each other?" 
“My dear," said Miss Wooler as I helped her with her shawl. “As you know I collect clergymen as others do shells along a beach. I walk along, and they just come along."
"Would you care to stay to tea, Mr. Nicholls?” Charlotte asked me. Miss Wooler’s presence inspired that courtesy. Miss Wooler, still by my side, gave me a nudge of encouragement.
 But I could see it was not to Charlotte's liking. The Parsonage did not favor unexpected guests. That didn’t stop me before or afterwards from inviting myself to tea. But I had much to think about and wished to withdraw. It was enough to be invited.
“Most kind, Thank you Miss Brontë, but my tea awaits me at Mrs. Brown's."
“Miss Wooler, Miss Brontë good day.”
Miss Wooler had the last word.
“Thank you for your kindness, Mr. Nicholls,” said with those smiling eyes. 
"I so enjoyed our stroll."
 
 
                                                             The End

 Anne Lloyd ⓒ 2024



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment